The Wii U is a great system, full of high-quality Nintendo games. While Nintendo has the Nintendo Selects line-up as a go-to source of quality / budget games, there are quite a few 3rd party (non-Nintendo) Wii U games available. This list of our top six 3rd party Wii U games is based on games released/releasing in 2016. All these games are by 3rd party publishers, and should but on any Wii U gamers radar.
(6) Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (Wii U Retail) : Priced at $19.99 Darksiders Warmastered Edition has a release date set for December 31st, 2016. Featuring Native 1080p rendering, this edition of a rare M-rated (Mature 17-up) features improved graphics and 30 FPS gameplay. We’re excited to play another round of Darksiders, and since the Wii U has a shortage of mature rated games this release is much needed. The price also makes Darksiders: Warmastered Edition one of the best values on the list. One thing that scares us though is the release date, which according to Amazon releases on the last day of this year. Here’s hoping this is nothing more than a data entry error, or that the game actually releases on time.
(5) Shantae: Half-Genie Hero – Risky Beats Edition: Price at $29.96, this game in the series will give Wii U owners with one solid platformer this holiday season. Shantae: Half-Genie Hero – Risky Beats Edition has a Wii U release date set for December 13th, 2016. Published by X-Seed, you can expect a well polished experience, with some of the high quality 2D art Shantae fans have come to love.
(4) Steamworld Collection: Priced at $29.99, the collection is covered in a previous article. The collection combines both Steamworld Heist and Steamworld Dig, all on one Wii U disc. Priced low, you can expect to pick this one up on November 1st, 2016.
(3) Runbow Deluxe Edition(Retail Version): Priced at $29.99, this upcoming Wii U retail game gives new meaning to coach party. Play multiplayer locally or online with up to 9 players in any mode, or master Adventure and Bowhemoth all by yourself! Runbow Deluxe Edition will supply Wii U fans with plenty of content, with over 100 playable characters, including stars from other popular indie games.
(2) Terraria: Priced at $29.99 or under, Terraria ranks alongside Minecraft as a must have Wii U game. Like it’s Minecraft counterpart, Terraria allows players to build, craft and survive in a world of their choosing. Terraria for the Wii U offers another 3rd party title that sits under that $30 price point.
(1) Minecraft Wii U Edition: Priced at $29.99, Minecraft Wii U Edition is a must have for Nintendo players, offering countless hours of gameplay. Containing split-screen, online, offline creative and other modes, Minecraft for the Wii U is a must have for any Nintendo gamer. Minecraft for the Wii U also includes many of the updates Minecraft players enjoy on other systems. Recently Minecraft Wii U Edition saw the Chinese Mythology Mash-Up, which is one of many new skins/maps available to Wii U players
What do you think of our top six 2016 Wii U games by 3rd-party companies? Let us know using the comments below.
At the bottom of the article we’ll include an Amazon link to purchase some of these games for the Wii U. Please note that we receive a small kickback on anything you buy via the ads below.