Publisher Merge Games announced that the upcoming Nintendo Switch dungeon crawler Vaporum is to release on the Nintendo Switch on April 11th, 2019. The game features a rich steampunk art style along with incorporating classic grid-based 1st person dungeon crawling. An official trailer was also released – see below.
Official Game Description:
Vaporum is a grid-based, single-player dungeon crawler game, that uses a first-person perspective in an original steampunk setting. The game is inspired by old-school games like Dungeon Master I and II, the Eye of the Beholder series and the more recent Legend of Grimrock I and II. Stranded in the middle of an ocean, in front of a gigantic tower, the hero must find out what the place is, what happened there, and most importantly, who he is.
Prepare to fight – you’ll encounter many enemies along your path. Each type has a distinctive set of strengths, weaknesses, and attack and defense mechanisms, so you’ll have to employ different tactics to beat them. Choose wisely when equipping yourself with gear; weapons differ from one another not only by damage levels and appearance, but also in terms of their unique bonuses or behaviors.
Use a wide range of skills thanks to the gadget-based RPG system: direct attacks, area attacks, offensive and defensive buffs, etc. But be careful, because while they are powerful, they also drain your energy. Remember that some enemies are immune to certain types of attack, so you will have to figure out the best way to deal with every encounter the game throws at you.
- Fight in real time – First-person real-time combat with deadly foes with varied abilities and behaviors.
- Fully voiced main characters – Find out what happened to the inhabitants of the tower with fully voiced phono-diaries kept by the main story’s protagonists.
- Tons of customization options – The gadget-based RPG system allows you to evolve your exoskeleton and define your own playstyle.
- Absorb fumium from defeated enemies – Unlock additional circuits in your exoskeleton and gain new bonuses and skills.
- Plenty of Puzzles – Solve level-wide objectives and puzzles that vary in difficulty.
- Exploration and loot – Look for optional passages filled with additional challenges and rewards.
- What happened in the mysterious tower? – A storyline full of dark secrets and unexpected twists.
- Tactical Combat – Use various attacks and read your opponents – each enemy has a different set of strengths and weaknesses.
- Immersive steampunk setting – Beautiful graphics, stunning sound design and an atmosphere that makes you aware of the constant danger lurking around every corner.